Now 43 U.S. Deaths From West Nile Virus

posted by Dr. Ad Versery Bored @ 0:34 AM
August 23, 2012

        As of today, August 22, 43 American citizens have died from West Nine Virus.  Cases in the this country have unexpectedly jumped to 1,221 cases of infection from this disease.  About one-half of the cases are in Texas, with most being in Dallas County where officials have been aerial spraying pesticides.

Thirty-eight states now report cases of the virus.  Most are in Texas, with other high numbers in Mississippi, Louisiana, South Dakota and Oklahoma.  Texas has seen 23 deaths and is treating some 640 victims.  Another nine states report the virus in birds and mosquitoes.  Only Alaska, Hawaii and Vermont have not reported cases.

Lyle Petersen, director of the CDC’s Division of Vector-borne Infectious Diseases, announced: “The number of West Nile cases in people has risen dramatically in the last few weeks and indicates that we are in one of the biggest West Nile virus outbreaks we have ever seen in this country.”

Elizabeth Weise of USA Today writes: “The 1,221 cases are the highest number of West Nile virus disease cases reported to the CDC through the third week in August since the virus was first detected in the United States in 1999.”

Reuters reporter, Marice Richter claims:  “Officials are bracing for more cases because West Nile peaks in mid-August and lasts through September. There is often a lag between the time of infection and the appearance of symptoms.”

Some 80% of people who catch West Nile virus show no symptoms at all.   Most of the remaining 20%  show relatively mild symptoms––maybe fever, headache or vomiting, which may last a few days or even a few weeks.

However Elizabeth Cohen, Senior Medical Correspondent for CNN News, explains:  “About one in 150 people infected with West Nile will develop a severe illness, which can include paralysis, coma or death.”  Other symptoms include severe headaches or confusion, which usually requires hospitalization.

Especially vulnerable are people over 50, young children and those with weak immune systems.  There are no medications or vaccines to treat this virus.

Ms. Cohen suggests that during daylight hours, one should use mosquito repellent with DEET, and dress in dark-colored long pants and long sleeves, and be especially careful at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
And, as earthend-newbeginning.com wrote a few days ago, readers must be sure to drain any standing water around the house or yard.  Also, lakes and other standing water should be avoided.

School is starting soon.  Perhaps we should print these instructions on wholesale Christian kids t-shirts.  These mosquito attacks are plagues.  In addition to precautions and medical consultation, Christians must seek God for protection and healing:  “For he had healed many; insomuch that they pressed upon him for to touch him, as many as had plagues (Mark 3: 10).”

Did you like this? Share it:

Leave a Reply


You must be logged in to post a comment.